What does it take to jumpstart your own ecommerce operation right from your home?
That’s the topic of today’s show with Bill and Maida Webster, a “retired” Connecticut couple who launched second careers as eBay sellers in the early 2000s. They came to love the wheeling and dealing—and soon realized the earnings would allow them to avoid dipping into their retirement savings.
As Maida says, “eBay (literally) floats our boat!”
You’ll learn Bill and Maida’s tips for researching comparable sales online and hear how they routinely sell items for as much as 6x the purchase price. They reveal how they source their niche products locally, then market them internationally to create bidding wars (Chinese buyers bidding on a sunglasses case?!).
You won’t want to miss Bill and Maida’s story about how they helped an heir to a famous Hollywood couple by selling their belongings on consignment… OR their story about trying to figure out what to do with a U-Haul truck filled with antique dolls.
Bill and Maida also reflect on working together as a married couple, and how they divide up their responsibilities (and physical workspaces) to avoid driving each other crazy. J and Carol can relate!
This is an entertaining and insightful show that will inspire you to start looking around the house for items to sell. Whether it’s Amazon, Facebook, Craigslist, eBay, or another platform, if you’re looking to create a new income stream by buying and selling online, this episode is a perfect starting point. If you enjoy the episode, make sure you’re subscribed so you won’t miss an episode!
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
This Show Sponsored By
Fundrise enables you to invest in high-quality, high-potential private market real estate projects. I’m talking anything from high rises in D.C. to multi-families in L.A. — institutional-quality stuff. And each project is carefully vetted and actively managed by Fundrise’s team of real estate pros.
Their high-tech, low-cost online platform lets you track the progress of every single project, and keep more of the money you make. Oh, and by the way, you don’t have to be accredited.
Visit Fundrise.com/bpbusiness to have your first 3 months of fees waived.
WizeHire is an online recruiting service that fuses recruiting software with the personal service of a hiring coach to help you find the best candidates for the job. They do all the heavy lifting for you so you can stay focused on what’s important.
Visit WizeHire today!
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Bill and Maid were able to start an online business right after retirement
- Making your “small business” a “real business”
- Research and other skillsets that you need to start your eBay business
- The story of their first customer and first products they sold
- How the market dictates value
- How they got to the point of having over 2,500 items in their store
- How Bill was able to personally ship 23,000 items!
- Using social media and other sites to increase the visibility of your store
- Why they decided to do something great in their 60s
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- “Even if you’re just starting small, you’ve got to develop some kind of inventory system.” (Tweet This!)
- “Treat your business like a business.” (Tweet This!)
- “You can start a new career in your 60s!” (Tweet This!)