Justin Cardwell
Is Buying a Home Worth It Justin Cardwell

Taxes can be stressful and burdensome for every freelancer. This will help relieve some of the pain.

Photo by Brooke Cagle on Unsplash

As you are considered self-employed as a freelancer you get the advantage of tax deductions but also the disadvantage of keeping track of these expenses — proving to the IRS that each deduction is accurate and appropriate.

Each freelance check you receive should set aside 25% to 30% for taxes — which should be put in a separate savings account to use when it’s time to pay Uncle Sam. There are a few reasons why the range to set aside is so high, mainly because of the self-employment tax. As an employee, Medicare and Social Security are taken out of your paychecks automatically with the employer paying one-half of 15.3%. Unfortunately, as a self-employed individual, you are expected to pay the entire 15.3%.

If you do not receive a 1099-MISC — a form that companies use to report payments to nonemployees — and received more than $400, you probably were paid through PayPal or another online payment system. If you don’t receive a tax report, understand that you aren’t off the hook come tax time.

You should also receive a 1099-K if you were paid more than $20,000 or more than 200 times, however, if you don’t qualify for a 1099-K, you can use the Schedule C tax form — which serves as an overall tax report for your income and expenses. Schedule C summarizes your 1099 forms into one form, which deducts your expenses from your income. If you had $5,000 or less in expenses, the Schedule C-EZ may be best for you to choose from.

Source link