Monday, February 03, 2020
Massages are lovely, and a personal chef can ensure you eat a healthy menu. But, say yoga masters, nutritionists and trainers, it isn’t difficult or nearly as expensive to create a wellness oasis at home.
As consumers place more value on health and wellness, try these seven tips for transforming your home into a place for your family to thrive:
- Declutter – Clutter can cause anxiety and depression. Train the family to put back what they take out, such as games, books, and toys. Look for smarter storage solutions, like baskets or closet shelving, to help keep floors and tables clear.
- Keep a healthy kitchen – A tidy, well-organized kitchen invites healthier eating. Clear the counters of all but the most necessary appliances. Visual triggers are important, so keep a bowl of lemons or a vase of fresh flowers on view. Keep the fridge stocked with fresh produce ready for snacking, and cupboards stocked with healthy snacks instead of potato chips and sweets.
- Bring in greenery – Healthy green plants can boost mood and improve air quality. Bamboo, ferns, philodendron or a flowering orchid can liven any living space, including the bathroom, while fresh herbs in the kitchen are great both visually and nutritionally.
- Let the light in – Natural light is now an important element in home design as it becomes increasingly evident that light directly affects mood, alertness, and productivity. Keep drapes and curtains open during daylight hours to let as much light in as possible.
- Play with color – Choose paint colors with a combination of personal taste and the hue’s proven effect on mood. Pale neutral colors, for example, are said to be calming while warmer colors tend to boost energy.
- Create a sanctuary space – A whole room is great,, but a nook in the corner of a room will do, especially one with lots of natural light. Fill the space with a comfy chair, a footstool, and a soft blanket. Add a small table with books and magazines, and a soft light for evening, and designate the space as the place to go for a quiet, undisturbed break.
- Share your wellness goals – It’s important for all family members to be on the same page regarding your healthy living space. That can mean, for example, committing to keep your home clutter-free, to banish electronics after a designated hour, and/or scheduling times when the sanctuary space can be available to all.
RISMedia welcomes your questions and comments. Send your e-mail to: email@example.com