Between the 10–13 March, Cannes will again receive nearly 27,000 visitors for MIPIM: The world’s leading property market event. It’s an opportunity to meet, network and discover the latest trends. MIPIM is a marathon and not a sprint, and it requires some planning before you go to make sure you’re making the most of your time (and the money you’ve spent on it!) whilst you’re there.
- Plan, and then plan some more: Success at MIPIM is largely bound in planning. MIPIM’s online database makes it easy to see who will be speaking and attending the event. You can also set up meetings through it. Make a list of the talks you don’t want to miss, the people you need to get in touch with and plan how MIPIM will work best for you. A real top tip is that the MIPIM databases are downloadable, so a couple of days before, when everyone has registered, make sure to download the databases in order to have contact details for everyone. Get some meetings in the calendar and plan where to meet before you go.
- First time at MIPIM: Congratulations! You’re in an exclusive club that MIPIM honours in their First Timers’ Programme. You’ll have exclusive access to the First Timers’ HQ lounge as well as special services to make your event easier. Head to the lounge as soon as you arrive to make the most of your first time there.
- Have a target: Before you leave for MIPIM make sure you know what you want to get out of it. Is it a certain amount of meetings, meeting with two or three particular people, to understand more about a particular technology or something else? Set yourself some goals as it makes it easier to measure how successful your trip was — and also makes it easier to make a plan of action for next year. Remember that being seen at MIPIM is a sign of credibility.
- Flexibility: In the planning stage, make sure you’re leaving yourself a buffer. Meetings overrun, and there’s nothing worse than having to cut an interesting meeting short because you have another one scheduled. Giving yourself time before and after talks to hang around and chat is also important. Some of the most important talks are had when you least expect it. Have meetings in the calendar, but leave yourself room for manoeuvre.
- Use MIPIM Tough Guide: Your one-stop guide to all the events taking place in and around Cannes during MIPIM. Bear in mind that some are invite-only.
- Bring the essentials: Remember a big stack of business cards to hand out. Don’t worry about bringing lots of sales material — no one wants to carry it around all day. Sunglasses and an umbrella are also a good idea, as you never know what the weather is going to be like. If you forget an umbrella they are sold outside for a generous profit to the seller.
- Technology: Bringing your phone and laptop are two essentials. As important, if not more, are their chargers. Bring a power bank for your phone or bring a second phone.
- Write a diary: MIPIM is overwhelming and there’ll be new information every day. It’s a good idea to take as many notes as you can, on paper, your phone or your laptop, to remember what happened each day, who you met and what was discusses and decided. These notes can also be useful for creating updates on social media or blogs.
- Spread out the forces: If there’s more than one representative from your company going, then it’s a great idea to spread out. Not only can you absorb more information that way, but you’ll also meet more people and you’ll spread the word about your company more as well.
- It’s a marathon, not a sprint: Pace yourself at MIPIM. It’s a big event with lots of things going on. It’s important to take some time to breathe in the fresh sea air and to relax in and amongst the hustle and bustle. You’re not going to do your best work or get the best partnerships and leads if you’re stressed.
Most importantly, enjoy it!
If you have other good ideas and tips, please share them in the comments.